Pakistan International Airline has issued a new tender on June 26th 2018 to induct two more aircraft in its fleet. According to our assessment, this is an attempt to induct Airbus A330 aircraft in its fleet to put them on European routes where there are lower loads and demand to increase frequencies.
It is the first time PIA has asked very specifically for planes that hint at the airline’s plans to update its product. The requirement list provided says that PIA looking for the following.
- PIA is looking for 02 wide body aircrafts for dry lease terms
- Seating configuration for the planes in 250 seats in Two class (around 20 in business class) hinting for an Airbus A330-200/300 or 777-200ER aircraft.
- Aircraft should be less the 5 years of age, if not available then PIA will consider aircraft with older age. Because under National Aviation Policy 2015 airlines cannot acquire aircraft older than 12 years.
- The aircraft should have in seat monitors with full AVOD.
- Wi-Fi should be available in both business and economy class of the aircraft.
- Business class seats must have flat beds.
- Lease period of the 02 planes is 06 years in-flight.
- New / Modern Seats
- In-seat IFE in both Business and Economy Class with AVOD
- Refurbished Cabin.
PIA has asked bidders to send sealed bids to PIA by 3 PM Pakistan standard time on 30 July 2018. The bids will be opened the same day at 4 PM PST.
PIA desperately need to have wide bodies that suit its changed business requirements. Its 777 aircraft are too big for its important routes and only get enough traffic on flights to Saudi Arabia. On the other hand, there are routes that prove to be bigger than its narrow-body aircraft Airbus A320 but 777s are too big for those routes. With aircraft that have a better product including IFE, Wifi, flatbeds PIA can remove one of the final complaints many travellers have. Better seats in Busines class, IFE and Wifi.